Associations of sign language interpreters exist worldwide to provide interpreter communities, as well as their Deaf and hearing customers a multi-aspect support. Association of Polish Sign Language Interpreters is the first one that came into being for a similar purpose. It is the answer to a strong need to improve the current state of sign language interpreting services.
STPJM wishes to offer a new look at the profession of a sign language interpreter, his/her role and duties, to organize knowledge about sign language interpreting, to make individuals using interpreting services aware of their rights and possibilities and to develop the art of interpreting at a professional level.
The goals of STPJM are to:
- perform the function of a professional organization for Polish Sign Language interpreters and represent them at national and international level;
- raise the prestige and comply with ethical rules of the profession as well as protect professional, moral and substantive rights of interpreters;
- guarantee a high standard of interpreting performed by STPJM members by continuously mastering their professional skills;
- support research and teaching initiatives aimed at development of Polish Sign Language interpreting;
- provide support in acquiring and improving the command of Polish Sign Language as well as spread knowledge about Deaf Culture;
- break communication barriers between the Deaf and the hearing community by providing interpreting of high quality.
STPJM intends to pursue its goals by:
- helping STPJM members to continuously improve their interpreting technique;
- providing workshops, trainings, courses for interpreters and individuals cooperating with them;
- organizing conferences, congresses, symposia and lectures on the issues connected with the sign language interpreting;
- providing language and terminology consulting related to interpreting;
- participating and representing members in international interpreter organizations.